100 Days of Horror welcomes you to ... SATANFEST 2013

Sunday, July 25, 2010

100 Days of Horror - A Crash Course for the Ravers.

Hey Boils and Ghouls! How is every single damn one of youins? Yeah, right, enough with the small talk.

So we're approaching Day Three of the 100 Days of Horror challenge, and already with the questions: “Why are you doing this?” “What’s the point to all this?” “Who are you and what are you doing in my bedroom?” It’s enough to put you off your food!

The answers to all of the above questions (except that last one) are simple enough, and I could have sworn I went over these in a previous post, but since it seems that most of my so-called “friends” only use the Interwebs to check their emails and harvest their crops on “Farmville,” I had better go over it again! Because I really want your feedback, even if it’s to say, “Please, for the love of god, would you stop with these farkakta posts?!”

Essentially, as a movie collector I found that a preponderance of my sizable collection (well, sizable as it pertains to me – I know you fools out there with your TERABYTES of movies, but mine is lovingly and painstakingly crafted, not downloaded in between “Warcraft” sessions) are in the horror genre, yet I only really watch those movies at certain times of the year.

This is my quest to first, see if I truly still enjoy the Horror genre, and two, see if I can really stick to such a goal. It sounds easy, really. I mean most people watch a few movies a week, if not exactly every night. But think about it – 100 days in a row, one of the same type of movie every night. That means I start in the summer and end on Halloween night. That’s a whole ‘nother season. Plus, I have to do it in the face of work, life, sex, birthdays, holidays, a planned Halloween bash and whatever else comes down the proverbial pike.

Plus, not only am I watching them I am keeping track of them from a carefully planned list and blogging about it on a daily basis. As a writer by trade, sometimes when you’ve written six news stories in two days, the last thing you wanna do is MORE writing. Well again, here is the “can I pull this off?” element that truly does make this a challenge.

And finally, it’s also an attempt to build up hype for the upcoming Halloween season. Yes, Halloween constitutes a season for some of us – this is the most important holiday of the year for me. It’s a chance to be a kid again for a night, a chance to spook up my house and my yard and my kids and everything I come across. It’s a chance to scare the bejezus out of the neighborhood kids. And it’s when my wife and I met almost 18 years ago. So, as you can see, it is the most special night of all nights. And this is my 100-day-long celebration of it and all that it encompasses. Amen.

I am at a point in my life right now where I am trying to make some serious changes to how I live and how I behave. No, really – you can stop laughing. I am seriously trying to change some things that are fundamental to my existence. And I know from previous attempts at a variety of projects that I eventually give up on … well, everything. In the face of all those other daunting challenges, I am also picking up one more – although obviously a little less important than changing one’s behavior. But the point here is not to give up, even in the face of all that other shit. Like I usually would. It’s a change. An opportunity to prove to myself – and others – that I am capable of change, and of sticking to a goal and that I can be serious about things when I want and/or need to be.

Not too serious, mind you, but serious enough.

I hope this clears up any lingering doubts, questions, inquiries and thoughts. I welcome ALL input and hope you’ll stick with me – in one way or another – throughout this journey.

Thanx again and mad mad monster love to you all!

DJ Shawny Shawn

No comments:

Post a Comment