100 Days of Horror welcomes you to ... SATANFEST 2013

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

100 Days of Horror Day Fifty-Four - "The Blob!"


Spooktacular salutations my minions!

I apologize for the brevity of yesterday's post, but right in the middle of writing the blog I started to experience a severe allergy attack. I am not sure why - the only thing that usually creates that kind of reaction in me is seafood. Which I have had none of. I was at a farm for a while yesterday, but this was hours later, so it's a mystery, folks - one for Scooby and his gang of weirdo friends.

Almost as much of a mystery as the origin of the creature that is the focus of tonight's feature - "The Blob!" I love this movie, as I do many of the sci-fi/horror films of the 50s and 60s, so this will be a special treat!

I hope you all get to enjoy this bizarre slice of cinema and thanks again for reading!

The Blob (1958): Directed by Irwin Yeaworth. Starring Steve McQueen, Aneta Corsaut, Earl Rowe, Olin Howland and Elbert Smith.

The Skinny: When a teen couple finds an old man staggering down the road with a mysterious goo eating away at his hand, it leads them into a night of extraterrestrial horror as the titular Blob grows larger and larger, eating its way through their small town.

What's Good: This is a drive-in classic, one with a tone that many other films have tried to duplicate with diminishing results. Featuring the late Steve McQueen in one of his earliest film roles (yet to find the success he would on television with "Wanted: Dead of Alive"), "The Blob" is a campy romp from start to finish. The dialogue, the acting and the special effects culminate to create something unique and fun and interesting.

What's Bad: Movies like this fall into that "you either get it or you don't" category. So if you don't like cheesy 50s horror films, go rent one of the "Saw" movies or something more modern. Or maybe try the remake from 1987 - it's not too bad and it stars Kevin Dillon. Or maybe hang around for Rob Zombie's remake scheduled for next year. That's BOUND to be a hoot.

Why We Like It: Like I said, I love it. My wife recently purchased the Criterion Collection version, which was transfered using a Datacine that produces a high-definition transfer from 35mm prints and the color is fantastic. Real life doesn't look this good. And besides that, the movie is still just as fun and as thrilling as it was when I first saw it as a child. Good times.

Memorable Stuff: Obviously the scene where the teenagers run screaming from the movie theatre - which happens to be The Colonial Theatre, located in Phoenixville and the site of an annual "Blob-fest," where people are encouraged to reenact the scene. In fact the entire movie was filmed in and around Chester County, including Valley Forge and Downingtown. This whole movie is great, so I have no complaints whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment