100 Days of Horror welcomes you to ... SATANFEST 2013

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

100 Days of Horror Day Twenty-Five - "The Lost Boys!"


Ghoulish greetings, all.

Wow, we're in the twenties now. I just had to sit back and contemplate that. I've been doing this for over three weeks now and it's still going strong. I'm finding this experience very therapeutic, actually. My life is kind of in upheaval right now and there's an uncertainty to ... well, just about everything. So I find that engaging in this hobby, endeavor, whatever, is distracting enough to give me purpose and something to focus on that I can actually control. Also I'm watching some damn fine movies in the process, learning a bit about myself and spending time with friends and family who are along on this journey.

So anyway, to those who read this - thank you. There are scant few of you (I'm not entirely sure my wife and kids even read this thing), and I am grateful for you all.

And I am thankful for tonight's film, one that shaped my adolescence so deeply I am still affected by it today: Joel Schumaker's classic, "The Lost Boys." I am SO looking forward to this film. I may have some Absinthe or seven as I watch it. Check The Skinny below

Tomorrow's flick - "Paranormal Activity!"

The Lost Boys (1987): Directed by Joel Schumaker. Starring Jason Patric, Kiefer Sutherland, Corey Haim, Corey Feldman, Jamie Gertz, Edward Herrmann and Dianne Wiest.

The Skinny: Who hasn’t seen this movie? Huh? Who? You?! Get out, you’re not welcome here. “The Lost Boys” takes its cue from the “Peter Pan” characters of the same name, who could also fly, stay out all night and never grow old. When brothers Sam and Michael move to Santa Carla, California, with their newly divorced mom, they soon find that there’s a good reason for it being the “Murder Capital of the World.” It’s teeming with some of the coolest vampires ever to strut their stuff on the face of the Earth.

What’s Good: “Say hello to the night! Lost in the shadows!” Maybe I’m sentimental about this film because it came out when I was a teenager and so impressionable, but the bottom line for me is that this is probably in the all-time Vampire Movie Top Five list. Everything about this movie spoke to me – the music, the setting, the actors, the story … I would watch this movie then rewind it (yes, yes, we had VCRs back then, not yer fancy digital video discs) and watch it again. I owned the soundtrack and when it broke, I bought another one, and when that one mysteriously disappeared, I bought yet another one. So, in light of trying to be objectionable, I tried to separate myself from the memory and spectacle of the movie and figure out if it really is as good as I want it to be. And the answer is yes, it is quite good and is still unequalled in the annals of vampire movies and horror movies in general. The characters are likable, even the vamps – and let’s just say here that while these vamps aren’t your glittery “Twilight” types or the effete southern gothic vamps of “True Blood,” they are still badass. You can keep your Edward Cullens and your Sookies – my vamps sleep upside down in caves, frequent the boardwalk and wear the coolest fucking jackets that have ever existed. Like a great indie band, the four “Lost Boys” vamps look like they belong together even though each one has a disparate, original look. The story is great, bolstered by solid performances by Jason Patric and the Coreys. But – let’s be honest here – the whole reason we watch the movie is for Kiefer Sutherland. As the leader of the vamp clan, David, Sutherland pours sensuality and menace into his every word. When he takes a sip from an ornately decorated wine bottle, winces and then smiles as he offers it to Michael (Patric), inside we all know there’s no way to tell this guy “Nah, I’m good.” But perhaps the greatest thing about this movie is the scene where Michael and Star (Gertz) make love, as “Cry Little Sister” by Gerard McMann plays over the scene. When I was a teen, and I heard that song, I wanted to listen to it for the rest of my life and I think I still do. What is it about that fucking jam?

What’s Bad: Jamie Gertz. I’m sorry, she’s pretty but she can’t act. And when I hear her voice, I want to run and hide. Also, you either love The Coreys or you hate them, and I am in the former category. They have great chemistry, let’s face it, and they actually know how to deliver a funny line. Other than that, there are a few pacing problems and Michael’s character suffers from no development so it’s hard to feel bad about it when the vamps start harassing him. But for the most part, this is a winner. It’s sequel, however, “Lost Boys: The Tribe” is awful. It took over 20 years to make it and it was not worth the wait. The late Haim is drugged out of his mind for most of the production and it’s sad and difficult to watch. I am also certain I could care less about the third film, slated for straight to dvd release this fall. I won’t even waste my time.

Why We Like It: WE LOVES IT! For all the reasons above and more. It evokes memories of going to the beach and experiencing the early moments of adolescent independence where you made decisions you didn’t have to consult mommy and daddy about. The movie is all about atmosphere and if you breathe in its charms you’ll find yourself transported to its constructed reality with ease. And as I said before, I wore the soundtrack the hell out – I listened to it constantly and its music swept me away every time and evoked that very atmosphere I just touted. It came at just the right time of my life for it to impress greatly upon me, and for that reason I love it.

Memorable Stuff: It’s packed with stuff that will stick with you. The scene in the cave where the massive mural of Jim Morrison is briefly superimposed over Patric’s face (Patric was shortlisted for the role of Morrison in Oliver Stone’s “The Doors” movie) is exceptional. And of course, any time Kiefer opens his mouth I lean in to catch every word. Once again, an excellent blend of horror and humor and a little pathos mixed in for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment