100 Days of Horror welcomes you to ... SATANFEST 2013

Saturday, August 14, 2010

100 Days of Horror Day Twenty-Two - "Drag Me To Hell!"


Wass happenin', vatos?

This marks a first for the 100 Days of Horror challenge - the first movie I haven't actually seen yet! So, by virtue of that fact, there is not much I can give you up front about it.

The last few days' selections have been enjoyable, and I hope this one is no exception. "Hostel" ws actually better than I remember it - I just am not into all that grisly body cutting and limb chopping and torture upon torture. But there is a good story there, so I have some hope for Eli Roth.

Today's feature is the latest for director Sam Raimi (the "Spider-Man" series), and his return to horror - his first since "Army of Darkness" in 1992. So I think this will be worth the effort. The skinny - as far as I can provide - is below.

Up next for tomorrow: "The Severed Arm!"

Drag Me to Hell (200?): Directed by Sam Raimi. Starring Alison Lohman, Justin Long, others ...

The Skinny: This is straight from the Wikipedia article because I have actually yet to see this film (but, again, I own it for some reason or another). “The plot revolves around loan officer Christine Brown (Alison Lohman), who tries to impress her boss by refusing to extend a loan to a gypsy woman by the name of Mrs. Ganush (Lorna Raver). In retaliation, Ganush places a curse on Christine, which, after three days of escalating torment, will plunge her into the depths of Hell to burn for eternity.”

What’s Good: No idea. But I can tell you what I think is good, and that’s director Sam Raimi. Yes, most mainstream movie viewers know him for his work on the “Spider-Man” films, but us horror folks love him more for his “Evil Dead” series. They are some of the best films in the genre, filled with dark humor and rear horror and of course, they star that god of all celluloid, Bruce Campbell. So how bad could this movie be?

What’s Bad: Well, I actually think the PG-13 rating is a hindrance, but from what I’ve read the director the writer – brother Ivan Raimi – wanted the PG-13 rating to appeal to a wider audience. Also, from what I’ve read, Justin Long plays a college professor. Huh? I’m supposed to believe the fucking “I’m a Mac” guy is a fucking professor?! That’s harder to believe than a portal to hell or the fact that Long is somehow nailing Drew Barrymore.

Why We Like It: Who knows if we will. But I have hope, because I know Raimi is a master at dark humor and from what I’ve read, there’s plenty of that to go around!

Memorable Stuff: Gonna have to get back to you on that ‘un!

No comments:

Post a Comment